Since 2019, JAM has been documenting and promoting the alternative scene – and that’s a good thing! In a media landscape that tends to get stuck into a dull routine, focusing on the same artists and the same genres, a little curiosity and open-mindedness is refreshing. At the same time, we have to admit the alternative scene is full of caricatured characters, clichés that we love to hate and excessive egos: we bump into them at concerts and bars, we follow them on social media, and let’s be honest – there is a bit of them in each of us.
In my monthly column “Nadia se paye la scène alternative” (Nadia roasts the alternative scene), I explore these caricatures, hopefully allowing us to have a good laugh at ourselves.
- April: “Le vieux de la vieille“
- May: “La backstage busy bee“
- June: “Le chanteur torturé“
- July: “L’activiste de service“
- August: “Le clubber friqué“
- September: “La caméléon métamorphe“
- October: “Le stagiaire delulu“
Jam is a subdivision of RTBF, Belgium’s francophone public broadcasting organization.